Bharat Kaalvrutt

◇

The Rashtrakuta Dynasty: Deccan Power and the Legacy of Manyakheta

The Rashtrakuta Dynasty was one of the most powerful medieval kingdoms of the Deccan. It rose to prominence in the 8th century under Dantidurga, who challenged the Chalukyas and established Rashtrakuta dominance.

The Rashtrakutas made Manyakheta, in present-day Karnataka, their capital and transformed it into an important centre of administration, culture and learning. Rulers such as Krishna I, Dhruva, Govinda III and Amoghavarsha I expanded the empire and strengthened its political influence.

The dynasty is particularly famous for its contribution to Indian architecture. The magnificent Kailasa Temple at Ellora, traditionally attributed to Krishna I, is considered one of the greatest achievements of Indian rock-cut architecture.

The Rashtrakutas also encouraged Sanskrit and Kannada literature and supported different religious traditions, including Hinduism and Jainism. Their rulers participated in the wider political struggle for control of Kannauj with the Palas and Gurjara-Pratiharas.

Rashtrakuta power declined in the late 10th century, and Tailapa II established the Western Chalukya dynasty after defeating the Rashtrakutas in 973 CE. Despite their political decline, their architectural, literary and cultural legacy remains an important part of Indian history.